Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An Unlikely MVP Vote...


Believe it or not, I don't get to vote for National League Most Valuable Player. Or American League MVP. Probably I'm in danger of losing my right to vote for elective offices, and my ability to vote for our next American Idol is endangered by the fact that I don't watch the show.

If I did have a vote for NL MVP and assuming the Cubs do finish in first (knock on something, anything, quick) then may I present an unlikely choice for the award, Mr. Mark DeRosa.

Sure, he doesn't have the Bondsian numbers we've expected from the MVP in the past, and maybe that's a good thing. His line, however, is pretty good. .288 20 Hrs 83 RBI's .483 slugging percentage. Plus, it seems like every one of those 83 RBI's have been clutch.

Most importantly, the man has five gloves. I don't know that I've seen a guy play so many positions in a year and still put up these kind of offensive numbers. He starts at 2nd, he plays 3rd, he steps up to right field (when Fukudome decides he doesn't like to hit anymore), once in awhile he shows up in left, and I vaguely remember him playing first base at least once. Last time I was at a game, I think he sold me a dog and a beer between innings.

When it comes time for postseason awards, every year we fans get to hear the same debate...is the MVP the person with the best stats or truly the most valuable. Usually, the award goes to the guy with the best stats, and often times, that person is also the most valuable. This year, by the most valuable criteria, I think there is only one real candidate, and he plays, well, all over the field for the Chicago National League Ball Club.

0 comments:

Recent Posts

The Onion

Labels

The Heckler - Front Page News

Urban Word of the Day

Blah Blah Blah

Advertisements do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Bruiser (but click on 'em anyway, please).

"Our Blogger Templates" Web Design

Thanks for the help.
Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP